Starting Sept. 30, 2014, will be making a big change. GenForum message boards, Family Tree Maker homepages, and the most popular articles will be preserved in a read-only format, while several other features will no longer be available, including member subscriptions and the Shop.
Learn more

Chat | Daily Search | My GenForum | Community Standards | Terms of Service
Jump to Forum
Home: General Topics: American Revolution Genealogy Forum

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message

Re: Robert MOODEY, Esq. who served in a PA regt.
Posted by: J (ID *****8954) Date: March 22, 2010 at 09:54:38
In Reply to: Robert MOODEY, Esq. who served in a PA regt. by melissa1 of 18095

If you are looking for a listing of Rev. War military service for your man, the following may be of help.

First read the description of the 3 tiers of military organization here:

The best place to search on the internet for PA militia and troops' service is in the PA Archives' web site, the gateway is here:

You can look on the DAR web site to see if anyone has joined DAR under service attributed to your man (same vital dates, spouse name):

--if you find a match, there are instructions on the site on how to write for an applicant's Record Copy.

You can search's index of National Archives Micropublication #246, "Revolutionary War Rolls" listing Continental troops and a smattering of State and County units--they have a free trial period. There are likely to be several listings for a person by this fairly common name.
If you find a match for name and state, you can use the number in the index to borrow the microfilm roll with that number within M-246 via your local library's Inter-Library Loan service to look at, or browse through the images of that microfilm roll to find the listing(s) for your person's name.

You can search on for the Compiled Service Record for a person with your target person's name. The CSRs are a series of cards with data transcribed from the above microfilm group, arranged alphabetically within Regiment. also has a free trial. The site also has indexed images of complete Revolutionary War (Congressional) Pension Application files that you can search, with direct links to look at documents.

Your local library may also provide access to HeritageQuest, a web site that has a few selected pages from the Pension App. files.

Good hunting.

Notify Administrator about this message?

Post FollowupReturn to Message ListingsPrint Message
Search this forum:

Search all of GenForum:

Proximity matching
Add this forum to My GenForum Link to GenForum
Add Forum
Home |  Help |  About Us |  Site Index |  Jobs |  PRIVACY |  Affiliate
© 2007 The Generations Network