Hi Kathy, I have Willis Listed as the Son of Dawson , Several years ago Gaylier M. found some Doc's in the Pike Co., Al. Courthouse , I posted the info on the Grimes board , will post here also.
Hope this helps
PIKE COUNTY HISTORY: "Spring Hill is a small community on Highway 87 about seven miles south of Troy. It was about the year 1814 when the first white people emigrated from the Carolinas to settle
here, long before the Indian conflicts had been resolved. Among the first to come were Sam Gibson, Dawson Grimes, Lonie Boutwell and the Leveretts." And a few paragraphs later: "Asa Thompson said that his neighbors when he came to Pike (1839) were Dawson and Thompson Grims(Grimes ?? CGT), the Boutwells and the Gibsons."
Dawson(Dosson) died before his estate was settled on 5/6/1857 in Pike Co., AL. The following were listed as his descendants:
1. Willis Grimes (residence unknown)
2. Children of daughter Lucy Grimes Bedwell, decd, and wife of James Bedwell, decd. : Elizabeth, James, Nancy, Mahala, Allen, and Dodon Bidwell from Ms.
3. Mary Grimes Brown, dau. of Dawson and wife of Isham Brown of Westville,MS.
4. Allen Grimes, son, residing near Turnbull, AL (Monroe Co)
5. Sarah Grimes Crane, wife of Jeremiah W. Crane, MS
6. John Grimes, son, is deceased; his widow is Neoma.
Their children:Caroline Grimes, wife of L. C. Weaver, TX; Mary Grimes, wife of A. G.Johnson, TX; Pleasant Grimes, TX; Patsy Grimes, wife of Richard Flowers, TX;Eliza Grimes, wife of Goldsberry Flowers, Coffee Co, AL; Elizabeth Grimes,wife of Lub Flowers of Pike Co, AL; John Grimes, Coffee Co, AL; CharlesGrimes, TX; David Grimes, TX.
Another attached list gives the eight direct heirs:
1. Willis Grimes
2. James Bedwell and wife Lucy and children Elizabeth, Jame, Nancy, Mahala, Allen, Dowon
3. Isham Brown and wife Mary
4. Allen Grimes
5. Jeremiah W. Crane and wife Sally
6. Thomas Grimes and wife Elizabeth (she being the daughter and he the nephew, I think)
7. John Grimes and wife Neoma and children Caroline, Mary, Pleasant, Patsy,Elizabeth, Eliza, John Charles, Daniel, Lucy, Sally, Nancy, and Marion
8. William Grimes
There are numerous promisory notes owed to Dawson back into the 1840s that were apparently never repaid. Gaylier
At the final distribution of the estate, each of the children got $159.19 (or in case child was deceased, amt. was divided among grandchildren). Other names mentioned: Asa Thompson, George M.Grimes, Charles Hall, W. T. Evans, James M. Carter, Washington Watson, JohnWatson, and Andrew L. Settles.
---I think I mentioned already the notice of Dawson's death in the newspaper.That's where I got the age 103 and first name of Samuel. ...I have the land descriptions of 1836 and later where he and Darwin (who also married in Wake Co, NC as did Dawson) and William. got land patents for land in Pike Co.
From Gaylier Miller +-
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|