I am looking for information on Reuben Wade and Telitha Wade, who were married in Harris County, Georgia, on June 17, 1848. Wade was Telitha's maiden name as well as her married name, according to the marriage record.
Reuben was born about 1829 in Alabama or Georgia. Telitha was born between 1825 and 1830 in Georgia, and had an older sister named Charity Wade, born about 1815 in South Carolina, who married Stephen Miller, who was also from South Carolina.
I have been unable to find Reuben and Telitha's family in the 1850 census records as yet, but find them in St Clair County, Alabama in 1860. They were still living there in 1862 when Reuben enlisted in the Confederate military, Company H, 30th Alabama Infantry. He died June 17, 1863 at Vicksburg, Mississippi, and is buried in the Soldier's Rest Confederate Cemetery there. Telitha remained in St Clair County with her six children until at least 1866, for she appears on the Alabama State Census in that year, but they are in Harris County, Georgia by 1870. Telitha and her two youngest daughters are still in Harris County in 1880, at which time they were living with her sister and brother-in-law, Charity and Stephen Miller.
Telitha's name is spelled a myriad of ways in various historical documents--Telitha, Tallitha, Tibitha, Elitha, Caletha--which has made her somewhat more difficult to track when compared with someone with a more common name. Oddly enough, I have found that there was an older Telitha Wade, born about 1790 in South Carolina, who was also a maiden-name Wade who married a Wade. This older Telitha also had a granddaughter named Telitha Wade, born in 1839 and who died by 1850. What, if any, connection there may be between these other Telitha Wades and Reuben's wife Telitha, I do not know.
Reuben and Telitha Wade were the parents of six children:
1. A boy who it appears was likely named William Thomas Wade, born about 1851. This first child is listed as William T. in the 1860 census, and Thomas in the 1870 census, which leads me to believe his name was most likely William Thomas.
2. Elizabeth Wade, born about 1853, who married William McDonald Stilwell. William Stilwell was born about 1845 in Harris County, Georgia, and died between 1884 and 1887. Elizabeth and William were married around 1880, and were the parents of Henry S. Stilwell (b. 1884), and Willie Stilwell (a girl, born 1885). Henry Stilwell married Lula Thomas, daughter of Mary Whitley and William Thomas. Henry and Lula were my grandparents. After William Stilwell died, Elizabeth married a William Carrol, and died around 1920.
3. Frances Wade, born about 1854
4. Harriet Wade, born about 1859
5. Richard Wade, born about 1861
6. Eveline Wade, born about 1863
I also know of one male relative of Reuben Wade, likely his nephew, also named Reuben Wade, born about 1862, who married Missouri Smith. This younger Reuben and his wife Missouri had one child, a son, named Jesse Reuben Wade, born 1880, who was the second husband of Mary Whitley Thomas Wade. Mary Whitley and her first husband, William Thomas, were my great-grandparents, so I am doubly connected to this Wade family.
I would very much like to share information with anyone researching any member of this Wade family.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|