Is anyone researching the Stewarts / Stewards and Tuckers of Barbour County, Alabama? My ancestor, James Stewart or Steward (born 1795 in SC or GA,depending on the census), was in the 1833 AL State Census, Barbour County. James states in one census that his parents were both of foreign birth. In another census, he states that his father was born in NC and his mother in SC. His wife was Sarah Tucker. In the census, they are living 5 doors down from the James Tucker family. Children:
1. Mary T. born 1826 GA, married Gilford Kent on August 20, 1857 in Barbour County at the residence of James Steward.
2. Lucinda b. 1826 GA, married Shadrack P. Sutton on June 19, 1842 in Barbour County.
3. James L. born 1827 Jackson County, FL, married Lovie I. Wise on October 10, 1849. She was the daughter of Ezekial Wise and Winnefred Bullock, "old residents of Barbour County" as one resource put it. Winnefred and her sister, Sarah Williams were heirs of Burwell (usually spelled Burrell) Bullock of Bibb County, GA. Ezekial Wise is descended from the John Wise of the book "Col. John Wise of England and Virginia" by Jennings Cropper Wise.
4. Sarah, born 1828 FL
5. Candice, born 1836 Alabama
After 1850, James and Sarah Tucker Stewart, all of their children and their spouses, packed up and moved to the Bienville Parish, LA, area.
In the book, "Rural Landowners of Barbour County, AL, 1851" by Marie H. Godfrey, I found this Stewart family (spelled Steward in the 1833 census). I think this is my James Stewart’s family, but I need some proof:
John G. Stewart, b. ca. 1770 Scotland, migrated to Newberry District, SC, then to Barbour County in the 1820’s, died by July 1852. Wife was Anna (Nancy) L., born ca. 1777 NC. In 1860, she was living with Daniel L. Stewart. John and Anna’s children who were listed in the Rural Landowners book were:
1. John L. Stewart, Jr., b. ca. 1800 NC. May have had a wife named Christian.
2. Norman, born 1804, d. May 26 1854, married Jane, b. 1824, died May 20 1893.
3. Daniel L., b. ca. 1814 NC, d. Oct. 20 1882, married Frances E. Smith
In the 1833 AL State Census, Barbour County, these folks were living near each other:
D.S. Stewart, 9 doors down from:
Alexandria Stewart, living next door to:
John Stewart, 3 doors down from:
The census also included the James Steward and Zekial Wise families.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|